Monday, October 8, 2012

Batista, victorious in MMA debut


By: Rijel R. Reyes

Former WWE champion and Fil-Am headliner Dave “The Animal” Batista won his MMA debut in the first round against the veteran fighter Vince Lucero in a sloppy fight at CES (Classic Entertainment and Sports) 12 last October 7 (Manila time) in Providence R.I.

The 43-year old former WWE star scored a TKO against the veteran Lucero (22-22-1) with 55 seconds remaining in the first round despite a rocky start.

"I think my nerves got the best of me a little bit. He hits like a (expletive) horse," said Batista in an interview after the fight. "He rocked me. I couldn't feel my legs under me for a while. I was just so nervous. It took me a little while to get my composure."

Lucero landed a couple of right hands after the opening bell, pushing back Batista to the fence. The veteran fighter controlled Batista in stand up that he even danced during a clinch.

With the whole round seemed to be a Lucero fight, Batista got a double-leg takedown halfway through the round and pinned his opponent in the canvass. Batista took advantage of the position and landed heavy shots when Lucero gave up his back.

Gaining side control, full mount and back control again, Batista continued to pour down flurries which forced the referee to stop the fight.

Lucero gave thwarted gestures after the fight has been stopped saying that he was hit behind the head several times. But after the official announcement, the two fighters showed respect by hugging it out. Batista showed willingness for his next appearance.

"It was a matter of getting this first one out of the way. I was just so nervous. I had so many butterflies coming out; I think it got the best of me a little bit. I'm better than I showed tonight," Batista said.

No comments:

Post a Comment