Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Cayetano-Enrile clolide over RH bill


By: Christopher Tigno

In a senate hearing last September 5, Senate President Juan Ponce Enrile argued with Senator Pia Cayetano after the latter criticizied Senate Majority Floor Leader Vicente Sotto III concerning the Reproductive Health Bill.

Enrile insisted that the analysis of the controversial Senate Bill No. 2865 is imperative as the law, if passed, will be abided by the country for the succeeding years.

“It is our duty as responsible people to dissect this bill, no matter how unpopular our position is, to determine whether the policy is embedded in it is a right policy or a destructive policy for this nation. And no one can lecture me about these things. I know my history. I’ve learned it by rote, its hard labor. And I resent being questioned about [and being asked to] state my purpose. Who are you to challenge my purpose? I tell you, I’m going to dissect it,” Enrile told The CBCP Monitor.

Though Sotto, an anti-RH Bill advocate, was given the floor during Enrile’s inquiry, Cayetano intercepted the Senate President in an attempt to halt and redirect to the questions her way.

Enrile said that lawmakers should take into consideration the national interests as laws should involve citizens’ rationale.

“With due respect to the lady senator, I know that she is eager to pass this law. But I have my own notion of what the national interest is,” Enrile said. “Nobody has a monopoly of wisdom about the national interest. I do not claim that I am the only one who considers this country his country. And I have an interest to protect my notion of what the future of this country will be.”

He added: “I hope that I will not be shackled. And I resent any implication that I am here to derail or obstruct the passage of any measure here. Nobody can dictate to me, whoever you are.”

Sotto has revealed foreign RH supporters who were connected to pro-abortion groups, claiming that passing the law legitimizes abortion. RH programs are already under 23 laws and government regulations, with funds reaching almost P8 billion this year, which Sotto claims nulls the purpose of the bill. 

No comments:

Post a Comment